CANINE HOOPERS CLASSES
For any age of dog from 6 months upwards.
Canine Hoopers is a new and upcoming dog sport in the UK. To learn a little more about what it is all about, take a look at the promotional video HERE.
It is low impact, so is suitable for dogs of all ages (including puppies!), and uses equipment which is accessible for dogs of all sizes, from mini to giant!
The basic equipment comprises of hoops, big 80cm diameter tunnels and barrels to run around. Hoopers courses are designed to encourage distance handling which is great for handlers of all abilities - no sprinting is required!
The classes are taken by Emma Cowie-Shaw who qualified as an Accredited Canine Hoopers UK Instructor in 2018. She is also a Platinum member of the UK Hoopers Pro Instructor network, teaching Hoopers skills from complete beginners to competition level.
For your dog to be able to attend these classes:
- Your dog must be comfortable working in a group environment.
- Your dog must be able to focus on you when carrying out practical exercises.
- Your dog must have a good recall and not be overly interested in the other dogs in the arena.
Handlers must have completed the Hoopers Foundation Workshop prior to starting the Canine Hoopers Classes. If you haven't attended our Hoopers Foundation Workshop, you can do so by booking online HERE.
The Weekly Classes
Our weekly classes run in blocks of 6 sessions running on Sunday mornings at the indoor arena at Brookfield Equestrian Centre in Brindle. Our intermediate/advanced group starts at 10:30am and our beginners group starts at 11:30am.
These classes cover all of the fundamental behaviours you need to know to be able to start completing simple Hoopers courses, building on the foundation topics covered during the introductory workshop. We then progress in skill and course complexity to test the handlers and the dogs whilst having fun together! Some people progress on to compete whereas others prefer just to attend to have some time with their dogs whilst giving them an appropriate outlet for fantastic exercise and mental stimulation.
During the sessions we will cover topics such as:
- Dog-handler focus
- Dog-handler interaction for success and drive
- Adding start line waits to the equipment
- Introducing the dog to corners
- Teaching the dog front and rear cross techniques using the equipment
- Introducing the dog to run multiple pieces of equipment in a sequence
- Spacing out the equipment to course competition standard
- Adding handler distance
- Sending the dog ahead
- Perfecting verbal cues / body signals
- Practicing a range of Hoopers courses using multiple pieces of equipment for varying skill levels
During the classes we work through the criteria for our Confident Canines Hoopers Level Awards. These awards run from Level 1 through to Level 5 with an additional Technical Handling Award for those who wish to really test themselves! Working through these awards of increasing difficulty allows you to see how well your dog is progressing in a structured way. Completion of each award also provides you with a certificate and stunning rosette!
UPCOMING COURSE START DATES:
- Sunday 31st October at10:30am (intermediate/advanced) and 11:30am (beginners).
£85 for a 6-week block of classes
CONTACT US if you would like to be added to the waiting list for the next course.